We’ve got a lot of detail-ironing to do yet with regard to our 5-year plan, but step 1 (for me) is de-crapping. By that, I mean getting rid of all the crap I don’t need. I’ve read a bunch of books and watched a lot of videos from people who broke out of their cages and started living life and one thing almost all of them have in common is that they underestimated how much stuff they had and how long it took them to get rid of it all. So I’m starting with my crap now.
I have way too much stuff and the old saying is that you don’t own your stuff, your stuff owns you. I’ve started by making a list of the areas that I actually use in the house. Specifically, the areas that ONLY I use.
- My office – full of paperwork, gadgets, paperwork, and other miscellaneous clutter.
- My side of the bed – mostly okay, but my end table is full of crap I don’t need or use.
- My part of our closet – full of clothes I never wear and stuff that I didn’t know what to do with so I threw it on a shelf.
- My bathroom/sink area – areas crammed with things I don’t use.
- My workbench – it’s the Noah’s Ark of tools in there. At least two of everything, some things I have seven of. Mysteriously though, I can never find anything I actually need.
- My camping gear closet – yeah, I’m a collector of camping gear. Much of it is crap. I bet I can lose at least half of it and never miss it.
- My car – the trunk will be easy, but Lord only knows what’s in that console and glove box.
I started with the office and my side of the bed on Tuesday (the 4th) and it was very satisfying to see that I was able to generate one massive bag for goodwill and a smaller, but still sizeable, bag for the trash man. The goodwill bag is deceptive though. Most of the stuff in that bag didn’t actually originate from the office, it’s just that we tend to pile anything we decide to give to goodwill in the office until we get around to it. Still. That’s one less massive black lawn-sized trash bag of crap in my life.
Next will be the closet. Specifically, my clothes. The stuff on shelves will be dealt with in days to come. As an early guess, I think I’ll be able to eliminate at least 1/2 of what I have in there. I’m nearly positive that I only ever wear that much at least.
Wish me luck!